Five pages of advice, information and opinion from a very experienced editor, who counts Sara Gruen's Water for Elephants among his success stories.
An example:
What are you looking for in a piece of writing?
The first thing is the voice. If it's got a strong voice, I'm going to keep reading. And if a story sneaks in there, I'm going to keep reading. To me, those are the two most important things. I want a voice and I want to be hooked into a story. I believe very strongly that books are not about writers, and they're definitely not about editors—they're about readers. You've got to grab the reader right away with your voice and with the story you're telling. You can't just write down words that sound pretty. It's all about the reader. You've got to bring the reader into it right away.
Read it here .
Blonde Faith by Walter Mosley
-
I used to read Walter Mosley books regularly - at least the Easy Rawlins
series, which I devoured in the '90s. But first kids, then my exile from
editori...
1 day ago
No comments:
Post a Comment